As you prepare to pack for the institute you will need to bring the following items:
- One competition outfit (suit/sport jacket- for men /suit/dress- for women)
- Office supplies that maybe needed for your event (tape, flash drive, scissors, legal pads, pens, binder)
- Laptop/printer if convenient (you will have access to computer labs on the Nova HS campus during the day and there is Internet access at the hotel)
- Casual clothes for warm weather (average temp will be between 85 and 95 degrees), swim suit, sun-block, toiletry items (shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, etc).
- Please bring a timer (that keeps track of minutes and seconds) for debating/speaking purposes.
- Finally, the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Airport is a full service hotel. You will have linen and towel service. Students may want to bring a credit/debit card or money to make an incidental deposit for items such as: room service, telephone service and/or movies. Your tuition to FFI is only for the room and tax on the room. No incidentals will be included in the residential program at the Sheraton.
The following events have specific requests:
- If you are in Oral Interpretation you should bring a 1 inch black binder and plastic slicks that you can put your performance cutting into.
- If you are in any interpretation event: you will be able to make one copy of your script/piece, however you should bring extra copy money to make any additional copies that you think you may need. We have an extensive library of new material, however if you have selected options for next year, please bring them with you.
- If you are in Extemp, Public Forum, or Congress, you may want to bring current copies of periodicals and any books that you use for preparing speeches. It is not necessary to bring files, however you may have certain files for constitutional or political issues that you may like to use in the speech writing process.
- In Public Forum debate: you must have a timer, legal pad, pens and you should also bring any books or materials that may assist you the speech writing or research process.
- The Oratory lab spends a significant amount of time at one of the largest libraries in the Southeastern United States. Oratory students should bring copy money since they will not be able to check out materials.
Note: pens, legal pads, timers, highlighters, floppy disks and flash drives will be for sale in a limited amount at the FFI store, but planning on bringing your own is preferable.